Brentford 2 – 3 Swansea City: Losing run ended as Swans hang on in breathless

Swansea City held off a frantic Brentford fightback to get back to winning ways after a run of three-straight defeats.

The Swans had looked to be cruising to victory as goals from Wayne Routledge and Leroy Fer, either side of a Chris Mepham own goal, put them three goals to the good.

But goals from Ollie Watkins and Said Benrahma hauled the Bees back into it, but Graham Potter’s men just about kept them at bay to seal the three points.

But Swansea will leave West London with concern over Martin Olsson, who was stretchered off early on after going down in a heap on the left flank.

After a tough couple of weeks Swansea were desperate for a good start, but they could barely have dreamed of a better opening as they led after just 25 minutes.

Wayne Routledge of Swansea scores
(Image: Ben Evans/Huw Evans Agency)

Barrie McKay stole the ball from Ezri Konsa and drove into the area where his low cross was turned in by Routledge.

But the joy was tempered when Olsson went down clutching his leg after playing a ball down the line, and play was held up for several minutes as he was treated before being stretchered off.

The long delay disrupted the flow of the game but Swansea got back into the swing of things and doubled their lead after 23 minutes.

Some excellent build-up involving Matt Grimes, McKay, Oli McBurnie and Nathan Dyer ended with the latter sending a low ball into the six-yard box which Mepham turned into his own goal.

Four minutes later and it was 3-0. Routledge’s fantastic rabona cross was met by McBurnie but the ball fell to Fer who scooped in.

Swansea were in dreamland and it would have been 4-0 had Daniel Bentley not alertly saved Joe Rodon’s powerful header from a deep McKay cross.

Martin Olsson of Swansea City is treated before being stretchered from the field
(Image: Ben Evans/Huw Evans Agency)

But the visitors were guilty of taking their foot off the pedal after that. They received a warning when Benrahma struck the bar but did not heed it and Watkins gave the Bees hope as he turned in after former Swan Josh McEachran had also hit the woodwork.

The Swans should have restored their three-goal lead early in the second half, but McKay could not beat Bentley, while Van der Hoorn headed against the bar moments later.

Having spurned those chances, Mulder pulled off a wonderful save at the other end to prevent Neal Maupay further reducing Swansea’s advantage.

But the Dutchman could not keep out Benrahma’s free-kick and it set up a grandstand finish.

Brentford pressed and pressed, with sub Sergi Canos hitting the bar in stoppage time as Swansea held on.