Carcass of 12ft great white shark found eerily intact inside wildlife park six

The carcass of a giant great white shark was found floating in a tank filled with formaldehyde at an eerie abandoned wildlife park in Victoria, Australia. The property has now been taken over by squatters. The gloomy interiors of the run-down building at Bass, eastern Victoria, can be seen filled with litter, broken furniture, old appliances, torn wallpaper, and shattered windows. Inside a tank in the almost pitch-black shed, floats the dead five-meter shark.

Formaldehyde, the chemical the tank is filled with, is normally used to preserve dead bodies. The shark had been allegedly found in 1998 in tuna fishing nets off the South Australian coasts. The abandoned park was reportedly closed down in 2012 by the Department of Sustainability and Environment, the Daily Mail reported.

According to the description on the video, the park was shut down because of offenses against the wildlife and for not holding a license to display any of the native animals to the public. The operator had been unable to get the license to run the park and was subsequently evicted. The owner had to then surrender all the wildlife to the RSPCA and the Department of Sustainability but a new home was not found for the shark. 

The 30-minute video was posted to YouTube on November 3 last year by trespassing YouTubers who decided to explore the sanctuary. The post went viral and gained more than 9 million views since it was uploaded. The pair of explorers were allegedly confronted by the smell of possum feces when they entered the property and that’s when they stumbled across the tank filled with murky green water. Needless to say, they were quite shocked when they realized a great white shark was floating inside it.

One of them said: “What the hell, can you guys see that? That is creepy as.” Aside from the shark, the explorers found piles of clothes, family pictures, food left in a fridge, and pieces of furniture such as couches, a mattress, and a television set. This was all evidence that squatters had occupied the abandoned building located close to a rural highway. 

After the video went viral, the YouTuber said that he received a lot of comments and messages about the shark and the wildlife park in general. He said that he was contacted soon after by the previous owner of the park who he visited and sat down to have a talk about what the park used to be like.

The pair spoke at length about how the man and his family had put a lot of time and effort into building up the park and how he had a special connection with all the animals and the locals who used to visit. Unfortunately, a bad set of circumstances made it difficult to continue the upkeep and the park had to be shut down. Rosie the Great White Shark, however, had to be left behind and is now slowly being destroyed by nature.